American Mavericks was a 2003, 13-part Peabody Award-winning radio series and website produced by American Public Media in association with the San Francisco Symphony and Michael Tilson Thomas, Music Director.
Major funding for American Mavericks was provided by The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation.
- Suzanne Vega, renowned for her musical innovation, hosts this gathering of entertaining and compelling stories, personalities and performances.
- Kyle Gann, the program’s writer, is music critic for the Villiage Voice, and long-time commentator on contemporary American music.
- Charles Amirkhanian, who among other contributions guided the producers through the substantial archive of music and voices in the KPFA archive.
- Vivian Perlis and the Yale Oral History American Music collection.
- Michael Tilson Thomas Artistic Director and conductor of the San Francisco Symphony who originated the American Mavericks concert series on which the radio program is based.
- American Mavericks is written, produced and mixed by Tom Voegeli, based on original essays by Kyle Gann. The Executive Producer is Sarah Lutman and the Managing Producer is Mary Lee. The associate producers are Alan Baker and Gabrielle Zuckerman. The musicmavericks.org Web site is produced by Preston Wright with graphic design by Ben Tesch. The recording engineer for the San Francisco Symphony is Jack Vad.