St. Paul, Minn., March 31, 2015— A new lifestyle classical music stream service, curated by American Public Media (APM), one of the world’s largest producers and distributors of classical music, offers a new way to listen and enjoy classical music. Perfect for both longtime classical music aficionados and those who are just discovering the joys of the genre, YourClassical.org packages classical music in an unconventional and innovative way with streams suited for life’s biggest moments and everyday situations.
In addition, the website is a hub for all of American Public Media’s classical programming: Performance Today®, SymphonyCast®, Pipedreams® and Composers Datebook®. With curated streams, distinctive programs and accompanying feature content, YourClassical.org helps listeners explore the world’s most enduring music, whatever their knowledge level, mood or activity.
“We launched this site to create the nation’s premier online destination for listening to great classical music,” says Brian Newhouse, managing director of classical programming for APM. “Audience feedback told us that people would love it if we could create occasions for them to align moments in their day, and key moments in their lives, with this wonderful music. Plus, we wanted to bring our national radio shows that nearly 4 million listeners enjoy each week under one new digital roof, creating a home for classical music that welcomes our current audience and brand-new listeners to enjoy the range of music we love, curate, and want to share.”
Classical music’s ability to help restore balance and harmony between mind and body is well-documented by researchers. It’s been shown to help reduce the body’s response to stress, stimulate brain waves and even help patients heal more quickly. YourClassical.org offers listeners the opportunity to bring calm and focus to their lives every day.
The lifestyle streams available include:
- Relax: Classical music to help you keep calm and carry on. Perfect for yoga, meditation or a frustrating commute.
- Energy: Lively classical masterworks that will get the heart pumping on the treadmill or while mopping the kitchen floor.
- Lullabies: Lovely and tranquil tunes to hush babies and tame toddlers.
- Wedding: Traditional favorites to less well-known music for ceremonies and romantic dinners for two.
- Movies: Sounds from yesterday’s and today’s silver screen.
- Choral: The genre’s best masterpieces from the Renaissance to today.
- Radio: 24 x 7, live and hosted classical music.
APM classical programming streams available include:
- Performance Today: Classical music’s finest performances from around the globe. Unique, surprising, & live.
- Composers Datebook: Stories of intriguing musical events involving composers of the past and present—with music.
- Pipedreams: All pipe organ music that features the power and wonder of “The King of Instruments.”
- SymphonyCast: Full-length concerts by the world’s best symphony orchestras.
American Public Media™ is one of the largest producers and distributors of public radio programming in the world, with a portfolio reaching more than 18 million listeners on nearly 1,000 radio stations nationwide each week. Programs include A Prairie Home Companion®, BBC World Service, Marketplace®, Performance Today®, The Splendid Table®, On Being™, The Dinner Party Download®, Wits™, American RadioWorks® and many others. American Public Media’s 225,000 participants in the Public Insight Network promote deep connections between journalists across the country and the communities they serve. American Public Media is the parent organization for Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and Classical South Florida. A complete list of stations, programs and additional services can be found at americanpublicmedia.org.
Source: Data are copyright Nielsen Audio. Data are estimates only.